Fast forward 25 years, in 1992 the Sultan celebrated his Silver Jubilee by releasing a B$25 Commemorative paper banknote (P21). Until today, this is still the one and only odd 25 Dollars denomination ever issued in Brunei since 1967.
To celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, the Authoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD) issued the following numismatic products:
- B$50 with special "HB50"* prefix (acrylic holder) at B$200 (4,000 sets);
- B$25 (P21) and B$50 "prefix F/1" Folder at B$160 (3,000 sets);
- Single B$50 "prefix F/1" Circulation Note Folder at B$55 (50,000 sets);
- 3-in-1 uncut Sheet B$50 "prefix F/2" (acrylic holder) at B$400 (1,000 sets);
- 8-in-1 uncut sheet B$50 "prefix F/2" (in tube) at B$1,000 (500 sets)
- 40-in-1 uncut sheet B$50 (in tube) at B$3,800 (150 sets);
- B$500 Gold coin at B$3,500 (200 sets);
- B$50 Silver coin at B$400 (200 sets); and
- 5 coins 5th series special collection set at B$20 (3,000 sets)
* HB = Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
It should be noted that only 4,000 sets were issued with the special prefix of "HB". The rest are printed with prefix "F/1 and F/2". All the above were made available via online pre-order which was opened between 04.10.2017 to 25.10.2017. The items were opened to everyone, however priorities were given to the locals first in the country with any left overs to be sold to the rest of the world. Any item that was oversubscribed went through a balloting system to decide the lucky winners.
I have no confirmation as to how many pieces were printed for this commemorative serious. So far I have sighted single note with F/1 prefix and F/2 prefix for those uncut sheets. The circulating coins and banknote were released to the public for circulation on 09.10.2017.
The design of the new B$50 features three generations of royal family. On the front, it features the late Sultan crowning his son in 1967 and on the back, the current Sultan and his eldest son, crown prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah ibni Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'ízzaddin Waddaulah, greeting their subjects. The note is predominately printed in stunning yellow colour, which is also the royal colour of Brunei. The design for this note should win an award, in my opinion.
Fifty Ringgit from 1 note folder
|Dated 2017 - single in folder|
|Dated 2017 - Special Prefix HB50|
|Dated 1992, P21, #204|
|Dated 2017, #204|